CURRICULAM VITAE S. SYED JAHAN,
8/149 – Middle Street MANDAPAM – 623 518
• Pursuing M. Sc., Zoology, Annamalai University Annamalai Nagar,
• B. Sc., Zoology, Jamal Mohammed College Bharathidasan University
Technical and other qualification
• Typewriting junior grade 1990, Department of Technical Education, Tamil Nadu
• Typewriting senior grade 1991 Tamil Nadu Commerce Institute Association,
• Certificate course in Word Star, d-Base Lotus 1-2-3, 1993, Jamal Mohammed
• Post graduate diploma in Computer Application 1998 Wintech Computer Centre,
• Fisheries Training Course – Operation of Fishing Gear, Principle of Navigation,
Mechanism of marine Diesel Engine 1997 Government of Tamil Nadu Fisheries Training Centre, Mandapam
• First Aid 1997 St. John ambulance Association
• Coast Guard Training - Parade Training, Seaman ship, Basic communication,
Coast Guard Administration and Hindi – 1997. Coast Guard station, Mandapam.
• Survival At Sea, 1997, National Institute of Port Management, Chennai.
• First Aid At Sea, 1997, National Institute of Port Management, Chennai
• “Stratified Multi stage Random sampling Technique for assessment of marine fish
landing”, 1999, Department of Fisheries, Fisheries Training Centre, Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands,
Experience • Culture of micro algae. Induced spawning and rearing of Pearl oyster.
01.01.1996- 31.12.96, Tamil Nadu Fisheries Development Corporation (Government of Tamil Nadu) Mandapam (Trainee – Technical)
• Rearing and processing of pearl oyster. Analysis of water quality parameters in
aquaculture ecosystem. Conducted survey and sampling of Pearl Oysters and statistical analysis in Gulf of Mannar. 04.11.1997 - 06.07.1998, ORKI aquaculture Pvt. Ltd., T.N.F.D.C.Project,
Present working experience
• Microbiological and hydro biological parameters analysis in larval rearing and
• Larval rearing in flow through system and recirculatary system
• Water exchange, feeding and the application of disinfectants in hatchery
• Maintenance of air blower, water recirculatory unit, pump, water filtration unit
(activated charcoal filter, sand filter, UV sterilization unit and cartridge filter system).
• Survey, sampling and collection of different water quality parameters.
• Statistical data collection of marine species in Gulf of Mannar and Andaman
• Isolation and purification of bioactive compounds from marine flora and fauna.
Major contribution to the other programmes of the institute/other institutions.
• OTEC plant – Involved in the cooling water systems of OTEC plant. Biofouling
• Data Buoy Program: - Biofouling of data buoy structures and sensors
• Low temperature thermal desalination : Involved in Water quality
1. Survey was conducted for lobsters resources in Andaman islands and a report was prepared and submitted as “Survey reports on Exploited lobster resources in the Gulf of Mannar and Andaman Island”. (Dec’1993 to Jan’ 2000) 2. Survey was conducted for pre-ranching juvenile lobsters in Minnie Bay of Andaman islands and a report was prepared and submitted as “Preranching Survey of Minnie bay in Andaman Islands for Evolving A Model on Sea ranching of Spiny Lobster”. Personal skills Instrumentation skills
• Epiflourescence / bright / dark field microscopy.
• VHF, RT and Public Addressing System (PAS)
• Fouling potential assessment of a particular site.
• Fouling assessment in heat exchangers.
• Biofilm characterization – Biofilm thickness, Biofilm solids, Living biomass, differential
microbial counts, community structure within bio films.
• Estimating residual chlorine and bromine in seawater.
• Stock and mass culture of micro algae.
• Isolation and purification of bioactive compounds from marine flora and fauna.
Microbiology • Isolation, purification & maintenance of marine culture of Alteromonas sp.,
Cytophaga sp., Flexibacter sp., Flavobacterium sp., Serratia marina, Vibrio sp.,
Hydro biological analysis
• Estimation of dissolved oxygen, salinity, pH, conductivity.
• Estimation of chlorophyll and carotenoid pigments.
• Estimation of carbohydrates, lipids and sugars, protein
• Estimation of chlorine and bromine. Iron estimation
• Estimation of particulate organic carbon
Skills in oceanography/instrumentation/analytical. • Operation of automatic weather station and data processing - measurement of wind
• Coastal and ocean current measurements using RCM-7, RCM-9 and ADCP’s.
• Coastal current measurement using drift bottle method and float track experiments.
• Bathymetry measurements, operation of echo sounders,
• Operation of CTD with caroussel system.
• Operation of water sampling gears like Knudsen and Niskin water samplers with
• Operation of sediment grabs (Peterson grab, Macintor grab) and vertical gravity
• Operation of onboard Autosal (thermosalinograph),
• Operation of Bongo nets for phyto and zooplankton.
M. Sc. / M.Phil. Dissertation works Technical assistance to University students.
1. Pavan Kumar (September 2003 to March 2004) Biofouling of titanium surfaces and its Impact on heat transfer. M.Sc. Thesis submitted to J.J. Col ege of Arts & Science, Pudukottai.
2. Lavanya Shankar (September 2003 to March 2004) Antibacterial activity of tropical Gorgonids. M.Sc. Thesis submitted to Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli. 3. Balamurugan (September 2003 to March 2004) Antibacterial activity of Echinoderms. M.Sc. Thesis submitted to Center for Advanced study in Botany University of Madras, Chennai. 4. K. Sudhakar (March 2004 to July 2004) Antifouling activity and inhibition of marine bacteria by the tropical sponge Ircinia sp.
5. I. Malaikaruppan (March 2004 to July 2004) Isolation and Partial characterization of Tetradotoxin from the puffer fish Tetradon innermis: Antifouling and Antibacterial
activity List of publications Journal publications P. Sriyutha Murthy, R. Venkatesan, K.V.K. Nair, D. Inbakandan, S. Syed Jahan D. Magesh Peter and M. Ravindran 2004. Evaluation of sodium Hypochlorite for fouling control in plate heat exchanger for seawater application. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation Accepted in Press.
Dalmin .G., J. Mary leema Thilagam., S. Syed Jahan, R. Kirubagaran, T. Senthil murugan, T. D. Babu, M. C. Remany, V. Sampath, K. V. K. Nair, T. Subramoniam and M. Ravindran., “Seasonal variation in microbial load in coastal waters and its bearing on the health status of cultured spiny lobster, Panulirus homaras (Linnaeus, 1758)” Presented in National symposium on Thermal Ecology held at M.S
University Thirunelveli, February 1 -2, 2002 Mary leema Thilagam J., S. Syed Jahan, G. Dalmin, T. Senthilmurugan, T. D. Babu, M. C. Remany, T. Subramoniam, K. V. K. Nair, V. Sampath, and M. Ravindran., “ Bioencapsulation o of the antibacterial drug Doxycycline in Artemia nauplii as tool for disease treatment in rearing Phyllosoma larvae in spiny lobster, Panulirus homarus (Linnaeus, 1758)” presented in National symposium on
Physiology and Biochemistry of Cultivable Crustaceans held at Madras university, Guindy campus, Chennai, February 18 – 19, 2002.
S. Syed Jahan, R. Venkatesan, P. Sriyutha Murthy, K. Prem Kumar and M. Ravindran 2004. Biofouling of data buoy structures and underwater sensors deployed along Indian coast. Proceedings Marine Biosciences research pp 281-290.
S. Syed Jahan, P. Sriyutha Murthy, R. Venkatesan, K. Prem Kumar. “Spatial distribution of Fouling Assemblage pm Data Buoys implication or larval dispersal pattern” . Conference on Microbiology of the Tropical sea [BC(p)-01] NIO, Goa. 13-15 December 2004.
P. Sriyutha Murthy, S. Syed Jahan, D.Soundrajan, Raju Abraham, K. Sudarsan and R. Venkatesan. Impact of biofouling on heat exchanger for OTEC application using simulated flow cells. Conference on Microbiology of the Tropical sea [BC(0)-02] NIO, Goa. 13-15 December 2004 Radhika Gopal, S. Syed Jahan, P. Sriyutha Murthy, S. Kathiroli and R. Venkatesan. 2004. Inhibition of biofilm bacteria by the Marine Sponge Thlysios frondifera: Potential
source of antifouling compounds. NACE- CORCON 2004 December 12-15 New Delhi. Papers presented at international conferences
P. Sriyutha Murthy, R. Venkatesann, K.V.K. Nair, D. Inbakandan, S. Syed Jahan and M.
Ravindran 2003. Evaluation of sodium hypochlorite for fouling control in plate heat exchangers for seawater application. Management & control of Microorganisms, Manchester University, September 15-18th 2003, Southampton, UK.
P. Sriyutha Murthy, R. Venkatesan, S. Syed Jahan, Radhika Gopal and M. Ravindran. 2004. Bioactivity and Inhibition of marine bacteria by extracts from Echinoderms: Potential source of antifouling compounds. The 6th International Larval Biology
Conference Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 21st – 25th June 2004
R. Venkatesan, Syed Jahan, Radhika Gopal, S. Kathiroli and P. Sriyutha Murthy 2004. Screening of Marine Bioactive substances for Antifouling activity: Bioassays and processes for product development. Alternative and Conventional Anti-Fouling
Strategies Aquatorium Mülheim, Germany September 13-15 2004
Abstracted in P. Sriyutha Murthy, R. Venkatesan, D. Soundarajan, D. Inbakandan, S. Syed Jahan, K. Sudharshan and M. Ravindran A Test system for studying the impact of fouling on Heat transfer in simulated Plate heat exchangers for OTEC Applications. NACE- CORCON Under Preparation for submission to Journals: P. Sriyutha Murthy, S. Syed Jahan, D. Soundarajan, Raju Abraham and R. Venkatesan Impact of Biofouling on Heat Transfer in Plate Heat Exchangers for OTEC application. To be submitted to Journal of Heat Transfer, Elsevier Publ.
S. Syed Jahan, D. Prem Kumar, P. Sriyutha Murthy and R. Venkatesan. Biofouling assessment of data buoys and underwater sensors deployed in Arabian Sea. To be submitted to Indian Journal of Marine Sciences.
P. Sriyutha Murthy, D. Prem Kumar S. Syed Jahan, and R. Venkatesan. Biofouling assessment of data buoys and underwater sensors deployed in Bay of Bengal. To be submitted to Indian Journal of Marine Sciences.
Trainings undergone Workshop on Surface preparation and paint application conducted by AKZO NOBEL coatings India, Banglore between 25-27th November 2003. Field visits / cruise participation: Involved in planning data processing and report preparation for the following cruises. S. Designatio Research Measurements
bathymetry, CTD, Echo sounder and Automatic Weather Station. and also collected Phytoplankton, Zooplankton samples and sediments using Various nets, Vanveen grab and Gravity corer.
OML sunrise August 2002 Shallow water bathymetry survey
September Biofouling of data buoy structures.
bathymetry, CTD, Echo sounder and Automatic Weather Station. and also collected water sample in different depth using water sampler Phytoplankton, Zooplankton samples, chlorophyll estimation
and sediments using Various nets, Vanveen grab and Gravity corer.
References: Dr. R. Venkatesan, Dr. P.S. Murthy
Ocean Science & Technology for Islands
Ocean Science & Technology for Islands
Dr. R. Kirubagaran,
Scientist ‘D’. Ocean Science & Technology for Islands National Institute of Ocean Technology, Dept. of Ocean Development, Govt. of India Velachery-Tambaram High Road, Chennai 601 302, Tamil Nadu, India Phone 91-44-55783418 Tamil Nadu, INDIA E-mai Declaration:
I hereby declare that the foregoing information is correct and true to the best of
my knowledge. Place: S. Syed Jahan
September, 2006 Volume 8, Issue 3 Looking to the Future of Sport Psychology: An Introduction Robert J. Schinke, David Hancock, and Nicole G. Dubuc Kim D. Dorsch ABSTRACT Sport psychology’s evolution is reflected in a wide array of research topics spanning levels and disciplines, and the areas of health, activity, and business. Consequently, researchers are rapidly
361 Hospital Road, Suite 124 • Newport Beach, CA 92663 • (949) 631-0988 PRE-ANESTHESIA SURGERY QUESTIONNAIRE 1. Name of your regular family doctor _______________________________ Phone ___________ OR ❏ I do not have a regular family doctor2. Have you ever had any problems with blood pressure, previous heart disease, palpitations or angina?____________________________________________If y