Tumescent liposuction pre-operative instructions
TUMESCENT LIPOSUCTION PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
1. Do not take aspirin
(Anacin, Bufferin) for one week prior to surgery. Severe,
even life-threatening bleeding can result.
2. Do not take thyroid medication the day of surgery.
It may promote rapid
and/or irregular heartbeat. For the same reason, do not take decongestants
(sudafed, various cold/sinus/allergy preparations) or over-the-counter diet
medications the day of surgery.
These medications may be resumed 48 hours
3. Do not take prescription diet medications
(Fastin, Ionamin, Adipex, Tenuate,
Bontril, or other brands of phentermine, or diethylpropion) for 3 days before
. You may wish to taper off these medications by taking them every other
day for a week before stopping them completely 3 days before surgery. Like the
drugs mentioned in item two above, these medications can cause rapid or irregular
heartbeat when combined with the tumescent anesthetic solution. They may be
resumed 48 hours after surgery.
4. Do not take Zoloft (sertraline), Wellbutrin or Zyban the day of surgery,
5. Take half of your usual dose of Effexor, Meridia, or any antidepressant besides Zoloft or Wellbutrin
the day of surgery.
6. Do take any anti-hypertensive (high blood pressure) medications
according to your usual schedule.
7. Arrange to have someone available to drive you home after the surgery. We will
telephone them when your procedure is completed; the surgery is too long for them
to wait in our office (unless they want to visit with you during the surgery, or wish to
see how tumescent liposuction is performed).
8. Wear loose clothing the day of surgery since the dressings applied after
liposuction are bulky. Likewise, the clothing should be easily washable, since some
drainage is likely to escape the dressings. Sweatshirt and sweatpants in a dark
color are ideal. Women should wear a bra they would not mind getting stained with
the blue ink used to mark the surgical areas. Do not wear an exercise sports bra if
you are having liposuction of your abdomen or torso; they come down too low. Men
should wear Speedo-type swim trunks.
9. Do not wear unnecessary jewelry, do not apply perfumes (deodorant is o.k.), and
minimize use of cosmetics.
10. Do not use moisturizers or soap which contains moisturizers for 2 days before
surgery; the ink markers used to outline the areas to be treated on your body will
rub off too easily.
11. We will give you a plastic-backed pad to put on your car’s seat for the ride
home. You should then place it on your bed and put a beach towel or two over it.
You may wish to place a towel on the floor next to the bed as well.
12. You must be on a stable, healthy, normal diet for two weeks before surgery. If
you are rapidly losing weight at the time of surgery, you are “melting” body tissues
and may not heal well after your surgery. You would also be at increased risk of
irregular heartbeat and other surgical complications.
13. Cut your alcohol consumption in half the night before surgery. Eat breakfast
the day of surgery.
Cut your caffeine consumption by at least half on the day of
14. Start the antibiotic I have given you
(cephalexin, doxycycline, Zithromax,
etc.) the night before surgery and take a second dose the morning of
15. If you have any questions or think something might be pertinent that you have
forgoton to tell us, please call.
TOPICAL OPHTHALMIC ANTIBIOTICS Fortified Ancef Ophthalmic Solution (50 mg/cc) Add 9.2 cc of Tears Naturale to 1.0 gram of Ancef - Dissolve Take 5.0 cc of this solution and add it to 5.0 cc of Tears Naturale LABEL: Ancef (50 mg/cc) Refrigerate Discard after 7 days Amphotericin B Topical Solution (0.15 mg/cc) Take 50 mg vial and add 10cc nonpreserved water for injectable use (Solut
Diet and Warfarin (Coumadin) If your doctor has prescribed warfarin (Coumadin), there are some foods that can affect the way warfarin works in your body. These include foods with high amounts of vitamin K, cranberries, alcohol and some herbs. Foods with Vitamin K The amount of vitamin K in your diet can affect the amount (dose) of warfarin you need to take. Your medicine dose must be b