of Jean S. Bernard, RN, MSN
Tennessee Wesleyan College
Fort Sanders Nursing Department
9821 Cogdill Road, Suite 2
To fulfill the role of an active faculty member in a baccalaureate
nursing program, coordinating and teaching in the areas of Adult Health Nursing, Management,
and Pharmacology. ACADEMIC PREPARATION:
: Nursing Management in Complex Systems:
Academic Institutions. University of Tennessee College of Nursing,
Master of Science in Nursing - Adult Health and Management,
Bachelor of Science in Nursing,
University of North Carolina,
• Registered Nurse, State of Tennessee Department of Public Health, Board of Nursing,
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor, American Heart Association
April, 2002 – present
Tennessee Wesleyan College, Fort
Sanders Nursing, Knoxville, TN
Coordinate academic and clinical experiences for students in areas of critical care, advanced medical-surgical nursing and management. Provide classroom and clinical instruction for Pharmacology, Adult Health Nursing II and IV. Serve as Faculty Advisor.
Committee Work: Program Evaluation, Chair; Curriculum, Secretary; Faculty Organization, member.
Instructor, Course Coordinator, Tennessee Wesleyan College, Fort Sanders Nursing, Knoxville,TN
Coordinate academic and clinical experiences for students in areas of critical care, advanced medical-surgical nursing and management. Provide classroom and clinical instruction to students in Fundamentals of Nursing Practice, Medical-Surgical Nursing, Pharmacology, and Advanced Practice. Serve as Faculty Advisor. Committee Work: Program Evaluation, Chair; Curriculum, Secretary; Faculty Organization, member.
Instructor, Course Coordinator, Fort Sanders School of Nursing, Knoxville, TN
• Developed and organized overall curriculum plan for courses in Advanced Medical-Surgical
• Planned and coordinated student clinical rotation schedules for Critical Care and
• Coordinated faculty lecture schedules
• Assisted faculty with problem-solving, advising and counseling of students.
• Provided input to Director for evaluation of faculty teaching within assigned course.
• Developed and presented lectures in care of individuals with respiratory, cardiovascular,
renal and neuro-endocrine disorders. Provided clinical supervision and evaluation for students in these areas.
• Planned and presented Pharmacology Course in its entirety, providing lectures, examinations,
• Co-authored book of Patient Case Studies used in both Medical-Surgical and Advanced
• Incorporated use of computer simulated programs and testing for reinforcement of classroom
COMMITTEE WORK: • Curriculum Committee (1992-present), Admissions-Promotions Committee (1992-1995),
Program Evaluation (1994-present). Assisted in development and revision of School’s Philosophy and Goals, Schematic for Curriculum Concepts, Sub-concepts, and Threads, Clinical Evaluation Tool, and Plan for Systematic Program Evaluation and annual Quality Improvement Plans. Contributed to on-going development, revision, and evaluation of program’s curriculum.
• Chaired Program Evaluation Committee; implemented strategic plans for successful
preparation of the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and National League for Nursing (NLN) accreditations, 1998, 2002, and 2006.
• Authored major portions of program’s self-study report for CCNE and NLN accreditation in
• Assisted in preparation of report for Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, 1998.
• Participated in writing of Proposal for Development of Baccalaureate Program in Nursing at
• Played active role in development of philosophy, curriculum plan for Fort Sanders
Department of Nursing at Tennessee Wesleyan College.
• Developed tool and conducted survey for determining appropriate admission criteria to
• Appointed chair of committee to spear-head development of admission criteria for Fort
Sanders Department of Nursing at Tennessee Wesleyan College.
St. Mary’s Health System, Knoxville, TN
Provide nursing orientation to acute care units and continuing education, staff development for critical care areas.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: • Developed, organized, and taught courses in basic EKG Interpretation, Hemodynamic
Monitoring, Code Management, Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
• Organized, coordinated, and provided instruction in annual Critical Care Courses.
• Participated in design and implementation of Nurse Preceptor/Intern Program.
• Served as guidance member for Continuing Quality Improvement teams.
March, 1986 -
Cardiovascular Nurse Clinician,
East Tennessee Baptist Hospital,
Managed patients with cardiovascular disorders in conjunction with staff nurses. Coordinated support services for families. Provided pre and post-operative teaching for open heart surgical patients. Staff development and education. Charge nurse for 32 bed cardiology unit.
Developed patient care flow chart system for cardiac step-down units.
Coordinated preceptor program for new employees.
Consulted with cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons for patient/family teaching to support transition from surgery to ICU, step-down units and discharge.
November, 1982 -
Fort Sanders Hemodialysis Center, Knoxville, TN
Staff Nurse, Medical Intensive Care Unit,
Staff Nurse, Open Heart Step-Down Unit,
• Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Nursing
The Regional Cooperative for Professional Nurses Week
• Sigma Theta Tau, National Honor Society for Nursing - Gamma Chi Chapter, Rho Mu
• Honor Society, Tennessee Wesleyan College-Fort Sanders Nursing
• Test Item Writer for NCLEX (State Board Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses
• Tennessee Nurses Association
• Board of Directors-District 2, Tennessee Nurses Association (2005, 2006)
• Vice President, TWC-FSN Honor Society (2005,2006)
• Task Force Member for development of Honor Society, TWC-FSN (2004)
• Chair, Nominating Committee-District 2, Tennessee Nurses Association (2003- 2005)
• RN Refresher Course, Coordinator (2005), Co-coordinator (2008, 2004)
• Nominating Committee member-District 2, Tennessee Nurses Association (2002, 2003)
• Presentation to Boy Scouts of America – Troop45, Pack 352, Christian Academy of Knoxville: Drug and Alcohol Abuse (2001), First Aid and CPR (2002-2007)
• “The Role of Simulation in Nursing Eucation” –Nursing Research Day, Rho Mu At Large
Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, (Spring, 2008)
• Nurses Giving Better Care-Nursing Research Day, Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center,
• Cardiovascular Changes in the Elderly, Covenant Homecare Nursing Staff, Knoxville, TN
• Exam Room Network – Provided instruction via video as nurse educator on topics such hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and sexually transmitted diseases (2002 , 2003)
Jean S. Bernard, RN, MSN
• National Teaching Institute for Critical Care Nurses, Chicago, IL (May, 2008)
• Care of the Head Injury Patient, Nancy Noble, RN, MSN, Knoxville, TN (April, 2008)
• Care of the Spinal Cord Injured Patient, Michelle Lloyd, Physical Therapist, Fort Sanders
• Care of the Mechanically Ventilated Patient, Devin Carr, RN, MSN, Knoxville, TN (March,
• Practical Psychopharmacology: Straight Talk on Navigating the Mental Health Medication
Maze, Joseph Wegmann, P.D., LCSW (November, 2007)
• The Role of the “Statin” Drugs in Care of the Diabetic Patient (February, 2006)
• Updates in Cardiac Diagnostics in the Heart Catheterization Lab, Rick Smith, Cardiac
Technician, Knoxville, TN (February, 2005)
• Diabetes Medication Review, Doug Bailey, Pharm.D. (October, 2006, 2005)
• Care of the Respiratory Patient, Respiratory Therapy, Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center
• The Patient With Overactive Bladder and the Use of Detrol, (December,2005)
MEDICINE ADMINISTRATION FORM To Be Completed By Parent/Guardian Student Name:_________________________________________________________________________________ Race: ____________ Height: ____________ Weight: ___________ Sex:__________ Date of Birth:________________________ Social Security #______________________________ Parent:______________________________________ Street Address:_______
Lees de hele bijsluiter aandachtig door alvorens dit geneesmiddel te gebruiken. • Bewaar deze bijsluiter. Misschien heeft u hem nog een keer nodig. • Raadpleeg uw arts of apotheker, als u aanvullende vragen heeft. • Dit geneesmiddel is alleen aan u voorgeschreven, geef het dus niet door aan iemand anders. Het kan schadelijk voor hen zijn, zelfs als ze dezelfde Inhoud van dez