You are allergic to para tertiary butyl phenol formaldehyde resin
worse than before, when they are stopped your rosacea and avoid them. A written record of your flare-ups may help here.
• Cosmetics can often cover up rosacea Antibiotics for rosacea:
The most commonly used antibiotics, such as
• If your eyes are giving problems, do not
oxytetracycline, belong to the tetracycline
Dermatology Department ignore these - consult your doctor.
group. Courses usually last for around 10
weeks. After that, the dose can be dropped, or
Where can I get more information about
the treatment can be stopped if the rosacea
has cleared. If a tetracycline has not helped
after a reasonable trial lasting several months,
The Acne Support Group offers information
then another antibiotic, such as erythromycin,
and support to anyone with rosacea (PO Box 9,
Other treatments: A full Cochrane review on treatments for Patient Information Leaflet
• An eye specialist should manage the more
• An antidepressant may help depression
• A bulbous nose affected by rhinophyma Other Internet sites include:
• Ugly dilated small blood vessels can be A beta-blocker tablet may help if flushing is
• Isotretinoin tablets are occasionally given for very severe rosacea, but the great risk of taking it during pregnancy must always (While every effort has been made to ensure that the information given in this leaflet is accurate, not every treatment will be suitable or effective What can I do? for every person. Your own doctor will be able to advise in greater detail) Protect your skin from the sun by using a sun block on your face every day.
• Do not rub or scrub your face as this can
• Consider the lifestyle factors that can stir up
Clatterbridge Hospital Bebington Wirral CH63 4JY
rosacea (listed above). Learn which worsen What are the aims of this leaflet? How will rosacea be diagnosed?
This leaflet has been written to help you
What are the symptoms of rosacea?
Your doctor will recognise rosacea just by
understand more about rosacea. It tells you
The skin of the face feels sensitive, and can
looking at your skin. There are no diagnostic
what rosacea is, what causes it, what can be
burn or sting. Flushing (the face becomes
laboratory tests. Rosacea differs from acne in
done about it, and where you can find out more
bright red) adds to the embarrassment caused
that the skin is not extra-greasy; blackheads
by the rash. Be sure to consult your doctor if
and scarring are not features; flushing is
you have problems with your eyes (see below).
common; and there is a background of red
What is rosacea? What does rosacea look like?
central part of the face, usually of a middle-
Rosacea starts with a tendency to blush and
Can rosacea be cured?
aged person. A tendency to flush easily is
flush easily. After a while, the central areas of
No treatment can be guaranteed to switch
followed by persistent redness on the cheeks,
the face become a deeper shade of red and
chin, forehead and nose, and by crops of small
end up staying this colour all the time. The area
can clear the spots. Treatment works best if
(papules) and pus spots, which come and go in
started when rosacea is at an early stage.
What causes rosacea?
The cause of rosacea is not fully understood,
(telangiectasia) appear, looking like thin red
How can rosacea be treated?
but many think that the defect lies in the blood
Rosacea may last for years if not treated.
vessels in the skin of the face, which dilate too
Preparations applied to the skin can sometimes
control mild rosacea, or keep rosacea in
than in men, and in those with a fair skin who
remission after a course of oral antibiotics.
Most people with rosacea, however, need to
take antibiotics by mouth from time to time.
Many things seem to make rosacea worse, but
probably do not cause it in the first place. They
Local applications for rosacea:
include alcohol, too much exercise, both high
• Useful preparations include a gel containing
and low temperatures, hot spicy foods, stress,
• The nose may grow big, red and bulbous
metronidazole, and antibiotic preparations
and sunlight. Things that stir up one person’s
(rhinophyma) due to the overgrowth of the
containing clindamycin or erythromycin.
rosacea may well have no effect at all on the
sebaceous glands. This is more common in
Don’t give them up too soon: they take time – at least 8 weeks - to have their effect.
rosacea is due to germs in the skin, or in the
• It may be best to avoid treatments designed
bowel, has not been proved. Rosacea is not
for acne – some can irritate rosacea.
eyelids; a gritty feeling; sensitivity to light).
• Note that preparations containing strong corticosteroids will make rosacea worse in Is rosacea hereditary? the long run and should be avoided. In the
Rosacea does seem to run in some families
keratitis, that can interfere with vision.
long term they turn the face redder; make
but it is still not clear whether heredity plays a
the streaky blood vessels (telangiectasia) more obvious; and everything flares up
RG25 3DU Tel 01256 770212 Fax 01256 771581 TRAVEL HEALTH SERVICE FOR PATIENTS Travel Clinics are available at Overton Surgery only: These clinics offer:- • Travel Health Advice • Immunisations • Private prescriptions for anti-malarial medication Please read this travel advice pack before you travel. If you would like to use our service please complete and return the Travel Ri
Intended use The ßhCG test is indicated for use as an aid in the early detection of pregnancy. The test is not indicated as a surrogate marker in the diagnosis or monitoring of cancer patients. SummaryHuman chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone. It is secreted during pregnancy by the trophoblastic cells of the placenta, shortly after the implantation of the fertilized ovum in